Creamy mushrooms on toast
INGREDIENTS - serves 2
1 tablespoon of oil
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 sprig of fresh thyme
½ a clove of garlic - crushed (optional)
250g mushrooms - roughly chopped or sliced
300ml double cream
sea salt and freshly ground
- Put the olive oil & butter in a saucepan & heat until the butter melts.
- Add the red onion & thyme & cook until the onion has softened – 10 to 15 minutes or so. Do this slowly, so the onions are soft but do not burn.
- Add the garlic, if using, and cook with the onions for a minute & then add the mushrooms. Cook until they begin to release the water in them
- Add the cream & continue to cook until reduced by half, then season with salt and pepper.
This can be done well in advance.
When it comes to serving:
- Re-heat your mushrooms mixture.
- Slice your bread and toast it and butter it.
- Pop the mushroom mixture on top.
- Stir baby leaf spinach through the mushroom mixture until it wilts whilst re-heating.
- Add herbs – parsley, chives, thyme.
- Grate cheese on top and pop under the grill or just shave parmesan over the top
- Not vegetarian but fry off some lardons and add these
- Top with poached eggs
- Serve with a side of asparagus or a lovely green salad